[IDV #JXK-429403]: In a netCDF file, the 2D field plots correctly, but the 3D field may not plot correctly dependent on sampling mode. [1465]

Ah, yes. 2D coordinate variables are supported, but not time dependent
coordinate
variables. My mistake. However, now I have really found the issue.

When trying to use a cdl file to create mulitdimensional arrays, you have to use
row major ordering - this user used column major ordering (i.e. data must be
listed in
the order it is going to go into memory).

For example, the TAir variable has dimensions (t, p, lat, lon) [1,2,5,10]. So,
when writing out the data in
ascii, it needs to go like this:

row 1: value(time 1, pres 1, lat 1, lon 1), value(time 1, pres 1, lat 1, lon2),
..., value(time 1, pres 1, lat 1, lon 10)
row 2: value(time 1, pres 1, lat 2, lon 1), value(time 1, pres 1, lat 2, lon2),
..., value(time 1, pres 1, lat 2, lon 10)
row 5: value(time 1, pres 1, lat5, lon 1), value(time 1, pres 1, lat5, lon2),
..., value(time 1, pres 1, lat 5, lon 10)

then, on row 6, we jump to the next pressure value:
row 6: value(time 1, pres 2, lat1, lon 1), value(time 1, pres 2, lat1, lon2),
..., value(time 1, pres 2, lat 1, lon 10)

Same goes for the lat / lon variables and their data values.

Confusing? Yep, but that's how C rolls.

Cheers,

Sean

Ticket ID: JXK-429403