[IDV #CHZ-651099]: our sea glider data won't open in IDV (using "Trajectory Sounding files")

> Full Name: John Maurer
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Hawaii at Manoa
> Operating System: Mac OS X
> Hardware: Java: home:
> /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home version:
> 1.6.0_43 j3d:1.3.1
> Description of problem: Problem opening
> file:http://oos.soest.hawaii.edu/thredds/dodsC/hioos/glider/sg523_3_agg
> java.lang.NullPointerException
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>
> Hi IDV folks,
> We're having difficulty tracking down what is preventing us from
> importing/viewing our sea glider data in IDV (error message above). These are
> autonomous underwater vehicles (AUV) with X/Y/Z/T dimensions. Our NetCDF
> files define them with a single time dimension, with additional variables for
> recording longitude, latitude, and depth. We have used CF and CDM standards,
> but perhaps we have missed something? None of the glider data open in IDV in
> the following THREDDS Data Server (TDS) top catalog:
>
> http://oos.soest.hawaii.edu/thredds/idd/glide.html
>
> Each glider mission is provided in two catalogs: individual files per dive
> (datasetScan in TDS) and also time-aggregated for all dives in a mission
> (NcML aggregation along the time dimension in TDS). I'd appreciate if you
> could give this a look and provide any insights on what might be tripping
> things up in IDV.
> Many thanks!,
> John Maurer
> Pacific Islands Ocean Observing System (PacIOOS)
> University of Hawaii at Manoa

Hi John,
       I checked out these glider datasets, and I cann't get them to display in
the IDV. There are several issues you need to know, first, the dataset doesn't
follow the CF convention, it need some modifications. But even with the
modifications, the IDV side need to have a new adapter to load this kind of CF
trajectory data type. Another option is to modify these dataset with an ncml to
make it displayable in the IDV, but they are not the CF compliant netcdf.

What do you think? I do plan to add the new adapter in a few months.

Yuan

> ******************
> Stack trace:
> java.lang.NullPointerException
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.sounding.TrajectoryFeatureTypeAdapter.<init>(TrajectoryFeatureTypeAdapter.java:95)
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.sounding.TrajectoryFeatureTypeDataSource.doMakeAdapter(TrajectoryFeatureTypeDataSource.java:398)
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.sounding.TrackDataSource.initTrack(TrackDataSource.java:507)
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.sounding.TrackDataSource.getAdapters(TrackDataSource.java:565)
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.sounding.TrackDataSource.initAfter(TrackDataSource.java:286)
> at ucar.unidata.data.DataSourceImpl.initAfterCreation(DataSourceImpl.java:787)
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.FilesDataSource.initAfterCreation(FilesDataSource.java:284)
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.sounding.TrackDataSource.initAfterCreation(TrackDataSource.java:301)
> at ucar.unidata.data.DataManager.createDataSource(DataManager.java:1597)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.createDataSource(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1980)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.makeDataSource(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1897)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.makeDataSource(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1831)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.makeDataSource(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1804)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.IdvChooser.makeDataSource(IdvChooser.java:943)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.XmlChooser.makeDataSource(XmlChooser.java:280)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.ThreddsHandler.processNodes(ThreddsHandler.java:852)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.ThreddsHandler.doLoad(ThreddsHandler.java:701)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.XmlChooser.doLoadInThread(XmlChooser.java:717)
> at
> at

Ticket ID: CHZ-651099
Department: Support IDV