[IDV #EZY-212847]: accessing NASA .he5 data

> Hello beloved IDV developers.
>
> A student wants to access data from this server.
> http://acdisc.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/opendap/HDF-EOS5/Aura_OMI_Level3/OMTO3e.003/contents.html
>
> We're not in a days-timescale hurry, hoping to solve this for all rather than
> just get a private quick fix.
>

> Two challenges:
>
> 1. Drilling down to a datafile (.he5 format) and pasting in IDV, IDV doesn't
> recognize its format,
> although IDV is listed in the list of tools on this page about the format.
> http://disc.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/Aura/additional/tools.shtml
> I don't see anything in the IDV list of formats (below Feeling Lucky).

Brian,
     This dataset can be loaded and display in the IDV. The data source type is
"Grid files...".

> 2. Can you point me in the right direction for time aggregating?
> I see the "THREDDS catalog xml" at the bottom of the page
> http://acdisc.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/opendap/HDF-EOS5/Aura_OMI_Level3/OMTO3e.003/catalog.xml
> so that brings the folders inside the Data Chooser, but it is still all
> folderized and file by file rather than time indexed.
> Do we need to write .ncml for time aggregation? Will it work for .he5?
> Can we pester NASA to do that, or to host it on their server?

You can copy this url to the catalogs chooser and display individual dataset.
There is no time dimension and variable for the dataset, not sure how to do
this time aggregation.

> Again, I want to work the process here (both yours and NASAs) here to smooth
> the path for the future,
> maybe for many datasets, not just get a quick fix for one case.

If NASA can do some modification to the dataset and add time dimension and
variable, it will be a lot easier.

Yuan

> Patient and grateful,
> Brian