[IDV #ILT-874479]: Unexpected error when opening IDV

Dear Andrea,

It appears something is giving the IDV trouble in the derived.xml file. Please
move that file out of the way. You can rename it to derived.xml.bak if you
would like. Now restart the IDV. Please keep us up to date on your progress.

Best Wishes,

Unidata IDV Support

> Full Name: Andrea Pellegrini
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Operating System: Windows 7
> Hardware: Java: home: C:\Program Files\IDV_3.1u1\jre version: 1.6.0_31
> j3d:1.5.2 fcs (build4)
> Description of problem:
>
> Hello, Happy New Year.
>
> Error: parsing resource xml
> file:C:\Users\andrea\.unidata\idv\DefaultIdv/derived.xml
> Error parsing xml: Invalid byte 2 of 3-byte UTF-8 sequence.
> Invalid byte 2 of 3-byte UTF-8 sequence. line:2 column:32
>
> The only description I can provide is that the above message was shown
> while opening IDV, i. e. before opening was completed.
>
> IDV eventually opens, but some defaults are incomplete, such as the
> default background map, where the lat/lon grid doesn't show properly.
>
> The last time that IDV opened without error, I defined a new, very simple,
> formula (variable * 100), I plotted that variable, saved the xidv bundle
> and closed IDV. Thank you for your kind attention.
>
> A, Pellegrini.
>

> ******************
> Stack trace:
> java.lang.IllegalStateException: Error parsing xml: Invalid byte 2 of 3-byte
> UTF-8 sequence.
> Invalid byte 2 of 3-byte UTF-8 sequence. line:2 column:32
>
> at ucar.unidata.xml.XmlUtil.getDocument(XmlUtil.java:1572)
> at
> ucar.unidata.xml.XmlResourceCollection.getRoot(XmlResourceCollection.java:281)
> at
> ucar.unidata.xml.XmlResourceCollection.getRoot(XmlResourceCollection.java:339)
> at
> ucar.unidata.xml.XmlResourceCollection.getRoot(XmlResourceCollection.java:313)
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.DerivedDataDescriptor.init(DerivedDataDescriptor.java:1100)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.JythonManager.initUserFormulas(JythonManager.java:1556)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.StateManager.initState(StateManager.java:541)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.<init>(IntegratedDataViewer.java:306)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.<init>(IntegratedDataViewer.java:225)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.DefaultIdv.<init>(DefaultIdv.java:84)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.DefaultIdv.main(DefaultIdv.java:165)

Ticket ID: ILT-874479
Department: Support IDV