[IDV #JSW-346292]: IDV windows flash and disappear, when piped from a remote Linux machine

Brian,

_JAVA_OPTIONS environment variable is interfering with normal IDV start up, as
I understand it. Please unset the _JAVA_OPTIONS environment variable before you
runIDV. Try

unsetenv  _JAVA_OPTIONS

or

unset  _JAVA_OPTIONS

Alternatively, try adding one of those two lines to the beginning of the runIDV
script.

Best Wishes,

Unidata IDV Support

> The problem appears to be coming in from the runIDV script, not my own
> environment.
>
> The word Picked seems to get misinterpreted as a command, and gives an error
> message.
> Here is the script line (60) that originates the error message:
> eval "${prefs}"
>
> here is what prefs is (from higher up in the script):
> prefs="$(${java} -client -cp ${dirname}/idv.jar
> ucar.unidata.idv.IdvCommandLinePrefs $* 2>&1 )"
> I can't understand  all the double quotes and parentheses and $ signs.
>

> I added this diagnostic line in runIDV:
> echo prefs:
> echo ${prefs}
>

> Here is its output with the problematic text in blue:
> prefs:
> Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: -Xms16m -Xmx512m idv_window_showtoolbar="true"
> idv_jython_editor="" idv_viewmanager_logo_scale="0.5"
> idv_event_mousemap="[[[I@77827284" View_ShowGlobeBackground="false"
> View_ShowAnimationBoxes="true" idv_ui_showdashboard="true"
> visad_java3d_geometryByRef="true" idv_cachesize="20.0"
> idv_contour_labelsize="12" idv_ui_showquitconfirm="false"
> View_ShowScales="false" View_ShowDisplayList="true" idv_memory="10000"
> DisplayControl_RemoveOnWindowClose="false" idv_event_wheelmap="[[I@152c7568"
> idv_autoselectdata="false" visad_java3d_imageByRef="true"
> idv_viewmanager_logo_position="ll,10,-10" help_helptip_Show="false"
> idv_viewmanager_logo="/ucar/unidata/idv/images/logo.gif"
> View_AniReadout="false" idv_threads_render_data="4"
> idv_event_keyboardmap="[[I@19d009b4" Data_DateFormat="yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss z"
> Data_VerticalCS="ucar.visad.quantities.AirPressure$StandardAtmosphereCoordinateSystem"
>  View_ShowTransectScales="true" View_ShowToolBarundoredo="true" idv_open_rem
 ove="true" idv_ui_lookandfeel="javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalLookAndFeel"
help_helptip_Index="2" idv_displaycontrol_standalone_removeonclose="false"
idv_choosers_all="true" idv_monitor_showclock="true" idv_fastrender="true"
visad_java3d_textureNpot="false" idv_choosers="{chooser.radar.level3=true,
chooser.radar.level2=true, chooser.image=true, chooser.file=true,
chooser.raob.remote=true, chooser.raob.singlelevel=true, chooser.url=true,
chooser.polling.dir=true, chooser.raob.file=true, chooser.point=true,
chooser.tdsradar=true, chooser.xml=true, chooser.profiler=true,
chooser.fronts=true}" idv_maxpermgensize="256"
View_BorderHighlightColor="java.awt.Color[r=0,g=0,b=255]"
View_ShowToolBarperspective="true" View_ShowBottomLegend="false"
idv_data_gribindexincache="true" View_ShowToolBarzoompan="true"
idv_contour_alignlabel="true"
View_BackgroundColor="java.awt.Color[r=0,g=0,b=0]"
View_ProjectionDflt="US>CONUS" idv_distanceunit="km"
idv_data_image_maxsize="-1" idv_threads_render_ma
 x="24" idv_largeremoterequest_warn="false"
idv_controlstoshow="{raob_emagram=true, multidisplay.histogram=true, omni=true,
radarvolumescan=true, imagemoviecontrol2=true, grid_emegram=true,
gridtrajectorycontrol=true, timelonshade=true, multidisplay.timeseries=true,
locationcontrol=true, radarisosurface=true, planviewcontourastopo=true,
contourxs=true, trackcontrol=true, planviewcolorastopo=true,
frontdrawingcontrol=true, planviewcontourfilledastopo=true, dataxs=true,
timeloncontour=true, level2CAPPI=true, multidisplay.table=true, rhics=true,
vprofile=true, gridtablecontrol=true, profiler_planview=true,
filedrawingcontrol=true, radarsweepastopo=true, obslistcontrol=true,
volumerender=true, mapdisplay=true, rhisweep3d=true, planviewcontour=true,
locationindicatorcontrol=true, trajectory_emagram=true, contourxsfilled=true,
profiler_3d=true, streamlinesoverz=true, stationmodelcontrol=true,
imagesequence=true, curvecontrol=true, timeheightshade=true,
timelatcontour=true, notecont
 rol=true, wmscontrol=true, radarsweep3d=true, windbarbxs=true,
track_stuve=true, stormtrackcontrol=true, colorxs=true, pointvolumerender=true,
isosurfacebyanother=true, isosurface=true, track_skewt=true,
planviewcoloroverz=true, planviewcontourfilled=true, planviewflow=true,
timelatshade=true, shapefilecontrol=true, radarsweep2d=true, valuedisplay=true,
timeheightbarb=true, planviewcontouroverz=true, trajectory_stuve=true,
bgwmscontrol=true, textdisplay=true, drawingcontrol=true, moviedisplay=true,
timeheight=true, flowxs=true, trajectory_skewt=true, worldwind=true,
planviewcolor=true, imagecontroloverz=true, multidisplay.statistics=true,
chatlogdisplay=true, imagecontrol=true, gridtrajectorycontrol1=true,
timeheightflow=true, textproductcontrol=true, flowoverz=true,
planviewcontourfilledoverz=true, animationtext=true, profiler_timeheight=true,
track_emagram=true, barbsoverz=true, imagedisplay=true,
transectdrawingcontrol=true, planviewflow3d=true, rangeandbearing=true, wind
 barbplan=true, topography=true, grid_stuve=true, pointcloud=true,
grid_skewt=true, rangerings=true, imagemoviecontrol=true, raob_stuve=true,
multidisplay.readouttable=true, probe=true, raob_skewt=true,
imagedisplayoverz=true, streamlines=true, rhi=true, flowxs3d=true}"
idv_showcontrols_all="true" View_ShowEarthNavPanel="false"
View_Dimension="true" idv_data_cache_percent="0.25"
View_ForegroundColor="java.awt.Color[r=255,g=255,b=255]"
View_ShowSideLegend="true" DisplayControlImpl_SamplingMode="Weighted Average"
View_UseFromData="true" idv_viewmanager_logo_visible="false"
View_ShowPip="false" idv_legend_showicons="true"
Display_showControlWindow="true" Data_LatLonFormat="##0.0" idv_open_ask="true"
idv_docache="true" View_ShowCursor="true" View_WaitVisible="true"
idv_showhiddenfiles="false" DisplayControlImpl_ProbeFormat="<b>%value%</b>
[%unit%] " View_Wireframe="true"
View_GlobeBackground="java.awt.Color[r=255,g=255,b=255]" idv_zidv_ask="true"
Data_TimeZone="GMT" View_DisplayL
 istFont="java.awt.Font[family=Dialog,name=Default,style=plain,size=12]"
View_3Dclip="false"
> ''
>

> Deleting the -client and/or -cp from the prefs line doesn't help.
>
> My .unidata/idv/DefaultIdv/main.xml has 10000 in its memory line.
>

> On Dec 13, 2012, at 6:58 PM, Unidata IDV Support wrote:
>
> Dear Brian,
>
> My limited understanding of this situation is that you have "Picked up
> _JAVA_OPTIONS" that are interfering with normal IDV start up. We advise you
> remove or comment out this environment variable from wherever it is
> originating (.cshrc?).
>
> Best Wishes,
>
> Unidata IDV Support
>
> When I run IDV on a big Linux machine (after loading java and IDV "modules"),
> the memory counter behind the clock only shows 477MB.
>
> When I changed it to 10000 in the preferences and restarted IDV,
> the counter still comes up at 477 MB. (several tries).
> Even though the Preferences pane shows this:
> [cid:c9a31ba2-7c02-48fc-864c-0d22c7086ba5@amazon.rsmas.miami.edu]
>

> I think this might be from "Picked up" option -Xmx512m as shown below.
> How can I override it?
>
> ----snip
> vis1{mapes} 372:  /nethome/mapes 5:29:04pm: runIDV
> /share/apps/IDV/IDV_3.1u1/runIDV: line 60: Picked: command not found
> Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: -Xms16m -Xmx512m
>

> Ticket Details
> Ticket ID: JSW-346292
> Department: Support IDV
>

> Brian Mapes