[IDV #OOS-641584]: reading a .nc file that is really HDF-5

Hi Brian,

Can you try opening the test.ncml file attached to this message (in the zip
file,
along with a test dataset)?

There should not be any encoding issues, although if you are using VIM to write
your ncml files, it may be adding a BOM at the begining of the file that can
sometimes cause things to mess up. However, for now, just try the files that I
attached (they work on my Mac just fine).

Also, you are correct. To open the ncml file, use

Data Choosers -> Files -> select ncml file and click add source. The Data Source
Type can be "I'm Feeling Lucky" or "Grid files (netCDF/GRIB/OPeNDAP/GEMPAK)".

Sean

> Oops sent prematurely sorry.
>
> I can't make it work even with paths careful and do-nothing ncml like the
> below.
> Is data chooser --> from file --> select file the path to opening .ncml files?
>
> Is there an encoding issue with Mac or something? I know nothing about what
> utf-8 means.
>

> >> Even a do-nothing NcML file based on workshop cookbook gives me the same
> >> error:
> >> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> >> <netcdf xmlns="http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/namespaces/netcdf/ncml-2.2";
> >> location="./CAM5_onetime.nc">