[IDV #ULD-739136]: issue with grib file opening

Greetings Ghansham,

> R/Sir
> I think I have already mailed you.
> But still again.
> Just follow this link:
> Just see the files available at this link:
>
> nomad3.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/reanalysis-2/6hr/flx
>
> the GRIB file names are like this:
> flx.ft06.200206
>

> If you can get one file from here. You will find the issue
> that I addressed.

Thanks for the example file. I've created a netcdf-java bug for you:

https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/jira/browse/TDS-312

Have you tried to access your data through the NOMADS TDS?

http://nomads.ncdc.noaa.gov/thredds/catalog.html

You may have better luck going that route.

> Also attached herewith snapshots showing how the things looked in idv2.9u3
> and how they look in idv3.0u2.
> I have downloaded the releases from unidata site.
> I hope that explains the issue.

Thank you for the sample images - I can definitely see the problem. I'll dig
into it as and if we can get a fix for this.

Cheers,

Sean

> My intention was just to inquire that if the time axis related issue can
> be sorted out within Netcdf-java 4.2.
>
> Just out of curosity, is it that maintanence for 4.2 version has stopped?
>
> regards
> Ghansham

> > Greetings Ghansham,
> >
> > Unfortunately, I don't think there is a quick fix that can be made to 3.0u2.
> > netCDF-Java 4.3 handels grib files in a very different way than netCDF-Java
> > 4.2, and there are a number of things that need to be changed to get 4.3
> > fully working in the IDV. The IDV branch on github is simply the branch
> > where the IDV will build with the new netCDF-Java, but that does not mean
> > everything works correctly - it just builds.
> >
> > As for the bounding box issue - we may be able to get that working, but
> > as I said in my previous message, I'm not entirely sure what you mean when
> > you say the IDV is showing the wrong Bounding Box - could you please send
> > us a little more information detailing which part of the IDV is showing you
> > the incorrect box? This may be easier to debug once we get a sample file.
> > Could you please tell us what you are seeing and what you expect to see?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Sean
> >
> >> R/Sir
> >>
> >> As suggested by you, I tried with toolsUI4.3.jar.
> >> It seems like it has recognized a single time dimension that
> >> is shared between all the variables. The coordinate values along the
> >> time axis also seem
> >> to be good enough.
> >> I found on unidata site. That there is no ncIDV for 4.3.
> >> But it seems I can download the branch of IDV which is using NC 4.3.12,
> >> most recent commits
> >> made by John Sir.
> >> Anyways but how to go about now. Is there any quick fix that can be done
> >> for IDV 3.0u2
> >> bot related to bounding box issue and time coordinate issue.
> >>

> >> regards
> >> Ghansham

> > Ticket Details
> > Ticket ID: ULD-739136