[IDV #YGA-505055]: Unable to load dual-pol radar

Greetings Becky,

> Hmmm...it's that level 2 dual-pol data from NCDC that I'm interested
> in.  However, NCDC (from that same website -
> http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/nexradinv/chooseday.jsp?id=katx) lists all
> those dual-pol products as Level III.  I just tried to load a
> differential reflectivity file (N0X) into IDV and got the same "unable
> to handle this radar product" error.

If you download the level 2 ("base data") files (first choice in the list), the
files you download will contain the dual-pol variables Differential
Reflectivity, Correlation Coefficient, and Differential Phase - note that these
are available as individual level 3 files, too, and are selectable from the
list (but the IDV cannot read them yet). If you want something like the
variable "hydrometeor classification", that's going to be found in the level 3
data exclusively. If differential reflectivity / phase, and correlation
coefficient are the only dual-pol data you are interested in viewing, then just
download the level 2 base file, as it contains those variables.

> So am I right in thinking IDV can only load recent dual-pol from the
> ADDE server?

The IDV can load recent dual-pol data from the ADDE server, as well as level 2
data from our THREDDS server (motherlode.ucar.edu/thredds/) - both of these are
options in the Dashboard under the "Data Choosers" tab -> Sat & Radar -> Radar
-> NEXRAD - Remote *or* ADDE Level III Tab.

The IDV can also load level II dual-pol data from disk (the "level II (base
data)" files from NCDC).

> Thanks very much for all the help.

No problem :-)

Cheers,

Sean

> Becky
>
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 11:50 AM, Unidata IDV Support
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Hi Becky,
> >
> > We aren't sure what the WCT is doing to load the level III data from disk.
> > However, we are actively (like, right this moment) working on getting this
> > feature into the IDV.
> >
> > The IDV is able to load level 2 data form dual-pol radars from our THREDDS
> > data server, as well as level 3 data from our ADDE server. However, these
> > are limited to relatively recent data (~15 days level 2 from THREDDS, ~ 1
> > day level 3 from ADDE).
> >
> > I also just checked, and the IDV is able to load level 2 data downloaded
> > from NCDC. The level 2 data files from NCDC include Reflectivity, Radial
> > Velocity, Spectrum Width, Differential Reflectivity, Correlation
> > Coefficient, and Differential Phase. To request the level 2 data, visit:
> >
> > http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/nexradinv/
> >
> > or use this specifically for KATX:
> >
> > http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/nexradinv/chooseday.jsp?id=katx
> >
> > and select "Level II (Base Data)"
> >
> > I'll let you know when we are able to read level 3 from disk. Hopefully one
> > of the options above will work for the moment.
> >
> > Cheers!
> >
> > Sean
> >
> >> Hmm.  I've been able to load dual-pol (Zdr, rho_hv, hydrometeor
> >> classification, etc.) data into WCT.  I attached an image of
> >> differential reflectivity from KATX.
> >>
> >> All of these products I obtained from the HAS NCDC website, which
> >> lists them as Level III products.

> > Ticket Details
> > Ticket ID: YGA-505055
> > Department: Support IDV