[IDV #ILT-566886]: vertical profiles with depth, not altitude

> Yuan,
>
> This is Charles Sun from US National Oceanographic Data Center.
>
> We are replacing the old GTSPP netcdf conventions, currently located in
> http://data.nodc.noaa.gov/thredds/dodsC/gtspp/, by moving all files
> below the folder, netcdf4.0, one level up. This will not happen till
> late next week.
>
> I will suggest use
> http://data.nodc.noaa.gov/thredds/dodsC/gtspp/netcdf4.0/indian/2012/01/gtspp_13237135_te_111.nc
> for testing purpose. In addition, please be advised that a typo in the
> z-variable attribute  was found by Rich, which causes the vertical
> profile displayed up-side down.

Charles,
     I checked the physical file, and the typo is in the file. Not sure how you
plan to fix it.

Yuan

Murray,
      See the attached jar file, this is a plugin created for this kind of typo
files located locally or remotely. Please install it and restart the IDV, when
you load the dataset, you need to select the data source type as "GSTPP data
file". You should get what you wanted.

Yuan

> However, the typo has been corrected, again all files will be updated by
> late next week.
>
> Sorry for any inconvenience.
>
> Regards,
>
> Charles
> >> Yuan,
> >>
> >> Please take a look at the attached figure (#1), which doesn't seem like
> >> much, but I'm so proud of it and so thankful to you and Rich Signell for
> >> helping me with all the tricks involved.  It is based on the "corrected"
> >> NetCDF profile that Charles Sun provided (consisting of only a few points).
> >> But eventually, we could make these color-coded profiles for groups of
> >> GTSPP
> >> stations, grabbed online through THREDDS catalogs.
> > Murray,
> >      The physical file (13237135.nc) is corrected from the beginning. The
> > problem is the THREDDS server need to be updated (I will check with TDS
> > developer to make sure). There are two URLs here and confused me:
> >
> > http://data.nodc.noaa.gov/thredds/dodsC/gtspp/indian/2012/01/13237135.nc
> >
> > and
> >
> > http://data.nodc.noaa.gov/thredds/dodsC/gtspp/netcdf4.0/indian/2012/01/gtspp_13237135_te_111.nc
> >

> > Which one are you planning to use?
> >

> > Yuan
> >> This will be, for us in the water world, a huge step, in terms of
> >> efficiency, potential for synthesis, and compatibility with some training
> >> we're already doing.  The hope (watch out Charles, here comes my soap box)
> >> is that we'll have user-defined delivery of spatially and temporally
> >> selected individual NetCDF profiles.  When the files have the "positive"
> >> syntax correction, then the use of 0 to -160 depths gives really FINE
> >> figures.  [I'm using Ocean Data View for mega-collections based on Charles'
> >> TGZ compressions...that's a different matter.]
> >>
> >> The second figure is one of the existing NC profiles on the GTSPP server,
> >> show you how much better they begin to look with more data points.  That
> >> figure comes directly from IDV/THREDDS, one click, without any ncml fix.
> >> So
> >> it's still upside down.  I'll need some IDV help on applying a layout that
> >> makes the dots larger (perhaps scaled to temp); they ARE currently colored
> >> by temp, but it's not easy to see on these small figs.
> >>
> >> I really hope this dialogue, made necessary by my blundering around, might
> >> continue and lead to good IDV/UNIDATA-GTSPP/NODC discussions.  It seems to
> >> me that a lot could be accomplished.
> >>
> >> Murray
> >>

> > Ticket Details
> > Ticket ID: ILT-566886