[IDV #BMD-541666]: GC overhead limit exceeded

> Full Name: Andrew Wiebe
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Operating System: Linux
> Hardware: Java: home: /home/aslan/IDV_2.8u1/jre version: 1.6.0_17 j3d:1.5.2
> fcs (build4)
> Description of problem:
>
> Creating display: Color-Filled Contour Plan View
> GC overhead limit exceeded
>
> Hi I have recieved the above error.
>
> I am trying to read a very large WRF output file (30Gb) on an x86-64
> Linux machine with 32Gb of RAM.
>
> I installed the IDV using the idv_2_8u1_linux64_installer.sh
>
> The variable I requested was the bottom soil temperature from the 2D
> variable list.
>
> Thanks for your assistance,
>
> Andrew

Andrew,
      You didn't mention what is the memory allocated to the IDV, the default
is .5G which is a bit small to handle this kind of dataset. I would suggest you
to update your IDV to 3.0u2, it can automatically allocate memory based on the
system memory, and you should be ok to load the 2D variable. If the WRF output
is not post processed and still in the staggered grid, you need to be very
careful handling the derived variable, the unstagger process in the IDV can
take a lot of memory and CPU. We normally suggest users to post process the WRF
data first before loading to the IDV.

Yuan

> ******************
> Stack trace:
> java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded
> at ucar.ma2.Section.<init>(Section.java:77)
> at ucar.nc2.Variable.read(Variable.java:755)
> at ucar.nc2.dt.grid.GeoGrid.readDataSlice(GeoGrid.java:613)
> at ucar.nc2.dt.grid.GeoGrid.readDataSlice(GeoGrid.java:524)
> at ucar.nc2.dt.grid.GeoGrid.readVolumeData(GeoGrid.java:445)
> at ucar.visad.data.GeoGridFlatField.readData(GeoGridFlatField.java:220)
> at visad.data.CachedFlatField.getMyValues(CachedFlatField.java:460)
> at visad.data.CachedFlatField.unpackFloats(CachedFlatField.java:599)
> at visad.data.CachedFlatField.getRanges(CachedFlatField.java:366)
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.grid.GeoGridAdapter.readTimeStep(GeoGridAdapter.java:1440)
> at ucar.unidata.data.grid.GeoGridAdapter.access$100(GeoGridAdapter.java:124)
> at ucar.unidata.data.grid.GeoGridAdapter$1.run(GeoGridAdapter.java:1355)
> at visad.util.ThreadManager.runInParallel(ThreadManager.java:273)
> at visad.util.ThreadManager.runInParallel(ThreadManager.java:245)
> at visad.util.ThreadManager.runSequentially(ThreadManager.java:223)
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.grid.GeoGridAdapter.makeSequence(GeoGridAdapter.java:1370)
> at ucar.unidata.data.grid.GeoGridAdapter.getSequence(GeoGridAdapter.java:1087)
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.grid.GeoGridDataSource.makeFieldImpl(GeoGridDataSource.java:1708)
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.grid.GeoGridDataSource.getDataInner(GeoGridDataSource.java:1280)
> at ucar.unidata.data.DataSourceImpl.getData(DataSourceImpl.java:2235)
> at ucar.unidata.data.DirectDataChoice.getData(DirectDataChoice.java:332)
> at ucar.unidata.data.DataChoice.getData(DataChoice.java:637)
> at ucar.unidata.data.DataInstance.getData(DataInstance.java:239)
> at ucar.unidata.data.DataInstance.getData(DataInstance.java:203)
> at ucar.unidata.data.grid.GridDataInstance.init(GridDataInstance.java:202)
> at ucar.unidata.data.grid.GridDataInstance.<init>(GridDataInstance.java:159)
> at ucar.unidata.data.grid.GridDataInstance.<init>(GridDataInstance.java:140)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.control.PlanViewControl.doMakeDataInstance(PlanViewControl.java:1306)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.control.DisplayControlImpl.initializeDataInstance(DisplayControlImpl.java:3040)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.control.DisplayControlImpl.setData(DisplayControlImpl.java:3022)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.control.PlanViewControl.setData(PlanViewControl.java:577)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.control.ContourPlanViewControl.setData(ContourPlanViewControl.java:112)

Ticket ID: BMD-541666
Department: Support IDV