[IDV #LCJ-498884]: Archive sounding data?

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to look for archived sounding data for 2011.
> Is there any data in the IDV Catalog that can provide me with archived
> sounding data for 2011, specifically for Lamont, Oklahoma?
> I am looking for 6 hourly sounding data (00Z, 06Z, 12Z, and 18Z).
>
> If not, how can I read in archived sounding data into the IDV from this
> particular site...
> http://weather.uwyo.edu/upperair/sounding.html
>
> Thank you,
> Vanessa V.

Vanessa,
      There are two kind of sounding data can be loaded into IDV, one is ascii
format, and the other is netCDF. The nc format will be available in the
motherlode TDS server in the near future. The ascii format is call CMA format,
CMA is the Chinese Meterological Administration. Here is a rough description of
cma format:

Year, Month, Day, Hour, NumObs
   st_num lat(deg) lon(deg) alt(m)
   pr(hPa) hh(m) temp(degC) td(degC) wind_d(deg) wind_s(m/s)

missing value is 99999.90

So, which option fits you better? Maybe none.

Yuan

> --
> Vanessa Vincente
> M.S. Student