[IDV #COD-764409]: GrADS ctl with Height (in km) as vertical scale

Hi Stefan.

First off, sorry for the delayed response. We have been attending conferences
and giving workshops.

We believe the GrADS spec is not being adhered to. As far as we can tell, GrADS
expects levels to be defined as pressure (not KMs). We don't think the IDV can
help here until the ctl and data file are fixed.

Best,

Unidata IDV Support

> Full Name: Stefan Cecelski
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Operating System: Mac OS X
> Hardware: Java: home:
> /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home version:
> 1.6.0_29 j3d:1.5.2 fcs (build4)
> Description of problem: Hi all,
>
> I recently converted my wrf output to height levels via ARWpost to create a
> grads ctl/dat pair. When I open the ctl file (attached) in IDV, the vertical
> levels are automatically presumed as pressure levels, even though the levels
> are height above ground in km. Is there anyway to trick the IDV in to seeing
> the levels as height levels instead of pressure levels?  The advantage of
> using height levels is evenly spaced vertical cross-sections via a transect
> view. However, since the IDV sees the levels as pressure levels, all the data
> is not viewable in the traditional transect view display because the
> pressures are all between 0 and 20 hPa! Thanks for any advice you might have.
>
> V/R,
>
> Stefan

Ticket ID: COD-764409
Department: Support IDV