[McV #RTN-413348]: Reading Data in McIDAS/Data of GOES12 Can Be Read in ArGIS ?

Hi Boris,

I apologize for the slow reply.  I was on travel last week, and yesterday
(Monday, Feburary 20) was a holiday for us.

re:
> Once again I come to you to request your assistance regarding
> McIDAS-V. On this occasion I wish detect Mesoscale Convective Systems
> (MCS) in the satellite images. To make this work I count, for example
> with satellite data: the SSEC (200404271515.goes12ir) and the NOAA
> CLASS (goes12.2004.118.151514 .BANDA06). My data is for 2004, every
> half hour. Right now I'm doing some tests to detect some features in
> satellite imagery. I am interested in detecting certain parameters (see
> attachment) of the MCS for the month of May.  To do this, from McIDAS, I
> manually call data by data (200404271515.goes12ir, 200404271545.goes12ir,
> 200404271615.goes12ir, .......), once the image is displayed, using the
> tools in McIDAS I calculating the parameters contained in the attachment.

I think I understand what you are trying to do.

re:
> Is there a way to call this data (Month May) and identify directly
> (without having to go manually inserting data for data) these parameters
> mentioned from McIDAS? if so, can you guide me how to do this?

I am not sure what you are asking... Are you asking how to write a
script that loads the desired data and then calculate the parameters
contained in the spreadsheet you attached?

re:
> I tried to process the above data(SSEC and CLASS NOAA) in a program of
> geographic information system particularly in the ARGIS 9, but these
> can not be read here. Is there a tool in McIDAS-V  to convert them to
> any format for they can be read in Argis ? Or is there a special way to
> insert  this data in ARGIS?

I know very little about ARGIS (do you mean ArcGIS?), but I believe that
current versions can read/use netCDF files.  If this is true, then you
should be able to:

- read in satellite image data in McIDAS-V (display the image)

- then save it to a netCDF file

  From the Data Explorer -> Layer Controls tab click on the File
  drop down for the data source you just loaded.  Select the
  Save -> Export Displayed Data to netCDF

  This netCDF file should be usable in ArcGIS (if you have a current
  version of ArcGIS).

re:
> From the table, particularly my interest is automatically calculated
> parameters of brightness temperature and area for these brightness
> temperatures, for then get their start and dissipation of Mesoscale
> Convective System. In the table, TIR mean  Infrared Temperature

I understand this.  I know how to load imagery specifying calibration
as Temperature; adjust your color table to highlight the temperature
range(s) of interest; and then visually trace the evolution of the
area(s) of interest.  What I do not know how to do is calculate the
areal coverage of the regions of interest.  This may be possible,
but I do not know how to do it.

I will ask our IDV developers if they know how to do what you want.
In the meantime, I suggest that you post your question to the McIDAS-V
support forums.  It may be that folks have already figured out how
to do what you want to do.

Ticket ID: RTN-413348
Department: Support McV