[IDV #ARY-912339]: print surface synoptics

Hi Joris-

> thank you for your quick reply and thank you for the colour bar, it's of
> good use to us! The problem however is that I can only choose a fixed
> colour for the windbarbs (model). I have added a screenshot to show what I
> mean, when scrolling down in the list of colours there are only fixed
> colours. How can I choose a colour bar?

Sorry, I thought you were using layout model plots.

For the gridded fields, you can use the formula to color one field by another.
In the Field Selector, select the Forumlas Data Source and then the Grids->One
value colored by another formula.  For the display, select the Flow
Displays->Wind Barb Plan View.  When prompted, select the wind flow vectors for
the "Data field" and the Speed for the "Color field".  Then set the color unit
(Edit->Change Color Unit..) to be knots, set the color table to be the beaufort
color table and set the range to be 0 to 65.

Once you get the display you want, you can use the Edit->Display Settings menu
of the display control to save the color table and color scale range as a
Display Setting.  From the dialog that pops up, select the Wind Barb Plan View
display in the list in the first column, check the Display Unit, Color Table
and Color Range boxes and then use the File->Save Selected Properties menu to
save it as a display setting.  The next time you go to load the data, choose
the saved setting from the Settings tab in the Data Subset panel (below the
Displays panel in the field selector).

Don

> On 12/20/11 10:21 PM, "Unidata IDV Support" <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>
> >Hello Joris-
> >
> >> I'm using IDV in an operational setting. I'm displaying wind barbs in
> >>IDV.
> >> I would like the colour of the barbs to depend on the wind speed.
> >> For example:
> >> 1 Beaufort - white
> >> 2 Beaufort - blue
> >> 3 beaufort - light green
> >> 4 beaufort - dark green
> >> 5 beaufort - yellow
> >> 6 beaufort - orange
> >> 7 beaufort - red
> >> Etc.
> >>
> >> How can I do this?
> >
> >Basically, you would create a color table that represents the Beaufort
> >force scale in knots or meters/sec and then color the wind barbs by that.
> > I've attached an IDV color table that uses the color scheme found here:
> >
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort_scale
> >
> >setting the range values in knots.
> >
> >From Color Table Editor (Tools->Color Table Editor menu), use the
> >File->Import menu to import the attachment into the IDV.
> >
> >If you are using synoptic observations, you should have the wind speed as
> >one of the parameters.  In the Layout Model editor (Tools->Layout Model
> >Editor), select the Layout Model that you are using to display the
> >synoptic reports.  Right click on the wind barb symbol and open the
> >properties for the wind barb. Select the Color By tab.  In the Map Value
> >of: box, type in SPEED.
> >For the Data Range, set it to be 0 to 65 and set the unit to be knots.
> >Click the Set button next to Color Table and select the Wind->Beaufort
> >Scale color table.  Click OK and then select the File->Save menu in the
> >Layout Model Editor.  Close the editor and then load in your data using
> >that layout model.
> >
> >Good luck!
> >
> >Don
> >

> >Ticket Details