[IDV #IYO-548353]: Request for links to hurricane bundles

Hi Dom,

re:
> I've downloaded the IDV application and started to run through some of
> the introduction. As discussed in our conversation last Friday it would
> be great to see what the Hurricane data looks like, please send me the
> links to download the relevant bundles. Also, some pointers on how best
> to view the bundles would be much appreciated.

One can get to lots of bundles as follows:

Dashboard > Data Choosers > Catalogs > Unidata's RAMADDA Server

Example bundles can be found in a number of the folders in the last link.
In particular, I would check out:

IDV Community Resources > Bundles

You should also visit:

Case Studies > Hurricanes

Hurricane Irene > Model Output and
Hurricane Irene > Bundles

both have IDV bundles that should be of interest.

Based on one of the comments you made during our conference call, I would also
like to suggest you check out the example bundles in:

Projects > Africa Initiative > Displays > IDV Bundles

In particular, please try the following:

- load the Global Composite Thermal IR over NASA Blue Marble
- 0.5 degree GFS Total Precipitation - Current GFS Run

You can, of course, run these separately/independently, but you should also
check out loading one and then adding the second to the first:

- select Global Composite Thermal IR over NASA Blue Marble and make sure that
  Remove all displays & data is checked in the Open bundle dialog before
  clicking OK

- after that bundle has loaded (and you have played with it some), go back to
  the Data Choosers tab in the Dashboard and select the
  0.5 degree GFS Total Precipitation - Current GFS Run bundle.  This time
  _uncheck_ the Remove all displays & data checkbox and then click OK

This will add the display of GFS (Global Forecast System) total precipitable
water to the existing loop of global composite thermal IR (nominally 10.7 um)
satellite imagery.  The best part of the composite display is when you
change the enhancement for the model output to match that for the satellite
imagery.  After the globally composited IR images are loaded:

- right click on the color bar for the IR images in the Legend panel

- select Edit Color Table

- from the Color Table Editor widget:

  - set/leave the Category to Satellite
  - select Save As from the File dropdown
  - leave the Color table name as IRLONG Transparent
  - click OK
  - click OK to exit the Color Table Editor dialog

Now, go ahead and load the 0.5 degree GFS Total Precipitation - Current GFS Run
bundle specifying that you either want to add the display to the existing
display (i.e., uncheck Remove all displays & data) or create a new display
(i.e., check Remove all displays & data).  After the precipitable water
bundle is loaded, change its color table to IRLONG Transparent:

- right click on color bar for the precipitable water field in the Legend
  portion of the Globe View - One Pane display

- select Satellite -> IRLONG Transparent as the enhancement

- uncheck the non-blue marble background image

- turn on animation

The display of global precipitable water in this way is to me a great way
to demonstrate the fluid nature of the atmosphere (or, at least, the GFS
view of the atmosphere).

re:
> I've received a 10 GB model output from a researcher at the British
> Antarctic Survey. It shows various current components moving in the
> Southern Ocean over a ten year period. The scientist has converted it
> into netCDF format himself, but IDV cannot find any grid points.

It seems likely that the conversion has some problems.

Questions:

- what is the format of the original data?

  If it is GRIB or GRIB2, it would be better to leave it in its original
  format.

- assuming that the data is in GRIB or GRIB2, are the parameter definitions
  standard, or did the researcher use custom GRIB tables?

  If standards were used, then the IDV (and its THREDDS Data Server back end
  components) should have no problem with the data.  If custom GRIB tables
  were used, those will need to be gotten so that the parameter(s) can be
  properly understood.

re:
> I'm
> going to confirm that the researcher is happy for you to view the data
> (it's brand new data), and if he is, do you think you could figure out
> how to get IDV to view the data?

It would be best if a subset of the 10 GB file could be made available
for testing.  Pulling over a 10 GB file might be arduous.

Ticket ID: IYO-548353
Department: Support IDV