[IDV #MUS-211252]: IDV v3.0b1: Streamlines colored by wind speed; winds on isosurfaces

Hi Dave-

> >> (2) Is it possible to plot wind barbs or wind vectors on an isosurface of
> >> another quantity other than pressure, such as potential temperature (an
> >> isentropic surface)?

> It seems like it must be nearly possible, though. It's already possible to
> color an isosurface with another (scalar) quantity, which means that the IDV
> can figure the value of another scalar everywhere on the isosurface. Figuring
> out the value of the u- and v-components of the wind at the same points
> should be trivial. Plotting the resulting vectors on the isosurface instead
> of color-contouring scalars on that surface, seems tantalizingly close,
> particularly since the IDV already does this on isobaric surfaces.
>
> But if it's already on the list of things to do, I'm just blathering. :-)

You'd think it was that easy, but it's not.  I know I said it's on the list,
but it's not a trivial thing to implement and would have to be done down in the
dark shadows of VisAD where most mortals fear to tread.  That said, I am
talking to SSEC about how this could be done and what it would take to
implement.  But don't hold your breath waiting. Some of us have day jobs. ;-)

Don

Ticket ID: MUS-211252
Department: Support IDV