[IDV #RVK-621478]: McIDAS-V inquiry #1048 updated

Bob,

I could be wrong, but here is my analysis of the situation which is backwards
from yours.

First off, people appear to deal with wind barbs in knots rather than meters
per second.

Second, my understanding is that wind speeds from 0 to 5 knots are calm
represented by a circle. After that, (i.e. >= 5 knots), we start to see lines
with barbs attached. The map view wind barbs, rendered with VisAD, seem to do
this correctly. Strictly speaking, as far as I can tell, there is no wind barb
line without a barb.

In conclusion, I think the Map View of wind barbs are correct, but the
Dashboard Plot does not deal with calm wind speeds correctly. I would recommend
fixing the Dashboard plots of wind barbs for low wind speeds.

Best Regards,

-Unidata IDV Support

> While in most cases this problem appears to be fixed, there is still an issue
> when a station is reading 1 m/s wind. When this is the case, the plot in the
> Main Display Window shows an open circle, while the plot in the Layer
> Controls (Displays) tab displays a barb without any flags. However, the barb
> in the Layer Controls (Displays) tab does point the proper direction with
> respect to the wind direction reported.
>
> This is a case where the barb is plotted correctly in the Layer Controls
> (Displays) tab and not in the Main Display Window. This is the only
> circumstance where I could find any inconsistency between the two displays.

> 1048

> Point data wind barbs differ between map display and plot in layer controls

> http://dcdbs.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/index.php?inquiry=1048

Ticket ID: RVK-621478
Department: Support IDV