[IDV #NGL-557553]: IDV install on Linux

> I am running Red Hat Enterprise on a system that was installed by a system
> administrator.  Since this is an email I will restrain myself from commenting
> on the quality of the install.  The university would not allow me to install
> the system myself but I do have the root password and can make changes.
> Thus, I am doing a lot of detective work to determine exactly what was done
> on  installation.  At any rate the install of IDV apparently did not work.
> IDV says it cannot set up the graphical environment.  When I run java
> -Xmx512m -jar idv.jar, I get the error message that the application needs
> Java 3D 1.2 or higher to run.  I gather some package was left out of the
> install.  Can you help me determine what package that might be?  Note that
> all updates have been done on this system.
>
> Donna Tucker
> University of Kansas

Hi Donna,
         It sounds like the OS has an old Java 3D installed. You can always ask
your sys adm to update the version of Java 3D in your system. But, you can also
run the IDV with Java 3D distributed with the IDV, to do this, you need to add
one more argument in the command line: -Dj3d.rend=d3d, if this doesn't help, I
would suggest that you install the IDV in your home directory.

Yuan

Ticket ID: NGL-557553
Department: Support IDV