[IDV #FIQ-462285]: Memory leak capturing image

> > Full Name: song xin
> > Email Address: address@hidden
> > Package Version: idv 3.0b1
> > Operating System: Windows XP with jdk1.6.0_20
> > Hardware:
> > Description of problem: Ticket ID: TJA-352580
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have found memory leak in saving image when setting '
> > visad.java3d.geometryByRef' to be false.
> >
> > My program create an off-screen MapViewManage and capture its image
> > continuously.  Since the codes runs on a Windows Machine(WinXP) with ATI
> > graphics card,I have to set 'visad.java3d.geometryByRef' to be false to
> > avoid random map lines which appear in MapViewManager.  But after about ten
> > minutes, error occurrs during Canvas3D callback:
> >

> Hi Song,
> Our developers are busy conducting a summer workshop, we will check the issue
> you reported later.
>

> Yuan

Hi Cindy,
    I am not sure if this is the case of memory leak. The memory usage for
these two options ( geometryByRef on or off) is different. What is memory usage
for the image you were trying to generate? What is the memory of your machine?
The best way to find out the memory usage of the IDV is through running the IDV
in the interactive mode, you can set the  geometryByRef  in the Preferece>
System window, and check the memory changing in the lower left conner of either
window.

Yuan

> > java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
> > at java.awt.image.DataBufferInt.<init>(DataBufferInt.java:41)
> > at java.awt.image.Raster.createPackedRaster(Raster.java:458)
> > at
> > java.awt.image.DirectColorModel.createCompatibleWritableRaster(DirectColorModel.java:1015)
> > at java.awt.image.BufferedImage.<init>(BufferedImage.java:312)
> > at
> > javax.media.j3d.ImageComponentRetained$ImageData.createBufferedImage(ImageComponentRetained.java:2572)
> > at
> > javax.media.j3d.ImageComponent2DRetained.getImage(ImageComponent2DRetained.java:252)
> > at javax.media.j3d.ImageComponent2D.getImage(ImageComponent2D.java:434)
> > at visad.java3d.VisADCanvasJ3D.postSwap(VisADCanvasJ3D.java:341)
> > at javax.media.j3d.Renderer.doWork(Renderer.java:1453)
> > at javax.media.j3d.J3dThread.run(J3dThread.java:275)
> >
> > If I change 'visad.java3d.geometryByRef' to be true, the program runs very
> > well with no memory leak. But the backgroud Map of ViewManager is
> > disordered and so it is with those caputred images.
> >
> > I am using idv 3.0b1 running on Windows XP with jdk1.6.0_20.
> >
> > I paste my source code as an attachment so you can have a test.
> >
> > Waiting for your suggestions.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > Cindy.

Ticket ID: FIQ-462285