[IDV #UQI-376007]: Memory Release

Stefan,

This is not how the IDV works. The user does not have to explicitly release
memory when switching datasets. What is the problem you are running into,
specifically? Is there an error message you are seeing? What happens when you
try to load additional datasets?

If possible, please give us diagnostic information about the memory. See memory
usage numbers in lower right-hand corner (by clicking on the time).

Best regards,

-Unidata IDV Support

> Full Name: Stefan Cecelski
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version: 3.0b2 build date:2011-07-07 20:40 UTC
> Operating System: Mac OS X
> Hardware: Java: home:
> /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home version:
> 1.6.0_26 j3d:1.5.2 fcs (build4)
> Description of problem: Hi all,
>
> Is there any way to 'release' RAM used by IDV without closing out the whole
> program? I load data that uses ~4gb of memory. When I remove all data and
> displays, IDV doesn't release the memory related to those displays(still
> shows 4gb of usage). As a result, I can't open my next bundle(which could
> take additional 1GB + of memory) without restarting the program. Is there any
> feature(or trick) to make IDV release its memory usage without a full reboot
> of the software? Thanks in advance!
>
> V/R,
>
> Stefan
>
> P.S. Just an FYI, but when you google my name all of the personal
> correspondance of my support requests come up(as expected). However, while
> the security filter you have removes my email address, my telephone number is
> still listed. Could you please edit this so my number isn't available to the
> public? Thanks.

Ticket ID: UQI-376007
Department: Support IDV