[IDV #FWP-228593]: Nightly build and Mac OSX

Hi again Kevin,

We made some changes to never exceed ~1.5GBs on any 32 bit OS (not just MS
Windows).

Tomorrow (after the nightly build) could you give it another try, and let us
know how it goes.

Thanks for reporting this problem. It allows us to build a better mouse trap :-)

-Julien

> Thanks Kevin,
>
> Sorry for the delay. I have been out for Easter break.
>
> In order to better diagnose this problem, a few questions:
>
> 1/ For clarification, how do you start the IDV on OS X? (You refer below to
> the runIDV/runIDV.bat scripts.)
>
> 2/ Also, since I am not sure which nightly build you were running, could you
> possibly confirm this problem with the latest nightly build? (We went through
> many iterations, and I wonder if you have an old build.)
>
> Thanks again,
>
> -Julien
>

> > I've noticed that the latest IDV builds no longer statically sets the
> > amount of memory allocated to the JVM in the runIDV/runIDV.bat script. I
> > notice that on my Mac OSX systems (both are 32 bit Intels with 3GB RAM) I
> > cannot get the IDV to start.  If I go in to the runIDV script and
> > explicitly set Xmx to 1536 MB it will work.
> >
> > Here's the error message:
> >
> > Error occurred during initialization of VM
> > Could not reserve enough space for object heap
> > Could not create the Java virtual machine.
> >
> > McIDAS V's dynamic JVM memory allocation does not have this problem on
> > OSX.
> >
> > I did not have any problem with the nightly build on my 64 bit Windows 7
> > machine.  Haven't tested yet on either 32 or 64 bit Linux.
> >
> > Thanks for checking . . .
> >
> > Kevin
> > Kevin Tyle, Systems Administrator               **********************
> > Dept. of Atmospheric & Environmental Sciences   address@hidden
> > University at Albany, ES-235                    518-442-4578 (voice)
> > 1400 Washington Avenue                          518-442-5825 (fax)
> > Albany, NY 12222                                **********************

Ticket ID: FWP-228593
Department: Support IDV