[IDV #FWP-228593]: Nightly build and Mac OSX

Thanks Kevin,

Sorry for the delay. I have been out for Easter break.

In order to better diagnose this problem, a few questions:

1/ For clarification, how do you start the IDV on OS X? (You refer below to the
runIDV/runIDV.bat scripts.)

2/ Also, since I am not sure which nightly build you were running, could you
possibly confirm this problem with the latest nightly build? (We went through
many iterations, and I wonder if you have an old build.)

Thanks again,

-Julien

> I've noticed that the latest IDV builds no longer statically sets the
> amount of memory allocated to the JVM in the runIDV/runIDV.bat script. I
> notice that on my Mac OSX systems (both are 32 bit Intels with 3GB RAM) I
> cannot get the IDV to start.  If I go in to the runIDV script and
> explicitly set Xmx to 1536 MB it will work.
>
> Here's the error message:

> Could not reserve enough space for object heap
> Could not create the Java virtual machine.
>
> McIDAS V's dynamic JVM memory allocation does not have this problem on
> OSX.
>
> I did not have any problem with the nightly build on my 64 bit Windows 7
> machine.  Haven't tested yet on either 32 or 64 bit Linux.
>
> Thanks for checking . . .
>
> Kevin
> Kevin Tyle, Systems Administrator               **********************
> Dept. of Atmospheric & Environmental Sciences   address@hidden
> University at Albany, ES-235                    518-442-4578 (voice)
> 1400 Washington Avenue                          518-442-5825 (fax)
> Albany, NY 12222                                **********************

Ticket ID: FWP-228593
Department: Support IDV