[IDV #QBK-160474]: Incorporating Point data into IDV with only one lat/lon

> I am trying to include text point data into IDV that has several time
> steps with data, but only one latitude and longitude included. Since IDV
> seems to require lat/lon for each timestep it will not plot the data on
> the map. Is there anyway to have IDV read the lat/lon once and use it
> for all the times; or possibly it could read the lat/lon from a list of
> several stations and plot the data? Any advice would be helpful.

Hi Walt,

     The IDV can read the lat/lon once and use it for all the times. The
document is
available in the user guide:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/userguide/data/TextPointData.html

check the section of "Fixed values for several observations" in the middle of
this page.
If you can convert the ascii dataset to csv format, it would be better.

> Also, as seen the file, there is information in the header that is not
> useful to IDV. How would I format my headerline to skip the information?

You need to remove the header and use the IDV header that has the two extra
lines to define for the IDV the fields within the file and the types of the
fields.

Yuan

> Thanks,
> Walt