[IDV #BZC-253054]: Text Point Data cutoff below Equator in custom projection

Hi Evan-

Thanks for finding this problem and the detailed support request.   The problem
was in the way the IDV was determining the lat/lon bounding box of the screen
for decluttering the obs.  It wasn't sampling as many points in the y (lat)
direction, so it was effectively cutting off at the equator.  If you zoomed in
until the edge of the earth just touched the top or bottom of the view area,
the points below the equator would show up.

I've made a change that will be in the next nightly build that will do a better
job of determining the lat/lon region of the display.

Don Murray

> Full Name: Evan Lowery
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version: 2.9 - 2.9 u3
> Operating System: Windows XP and 7
> Hardware: multiple PCs
> Description of problem:
>
> Hello,
>
> When using either IDV 2.9 or 2.9u3, custom "text point data"
> (idv_converted_text_data.csv) is getting cutoff south of the
> Equator in the custom projections "wti_gefdsk, wti_meglob05,
> wti_fy2d" (projections.xml).  A custom Layout model "LocationYellow"
> (stationmodels.xml) is being used.  The steps to reproduce the error
> are below:
>
> 1) Data Chooser
> Data Source Type: Text Point Data files
> Select idv_converted_text_data.csv
> Add Source
>
> 2) Fields
> Point Cloud - Point Data - Point Data Plot
> Create Display
>
> 3) Layout
> Declutter (off)
> Layout Model: LocationYellow
> Scale: 0.2
> Apply
>
> 4) Projections - Predefined - wti_gefdsk
> Repeat for all "wti_" projections.  The ones listed in the summary above
> are cutting off text locations south of the Equator.
>
> I also tried to export the csv file into a netCDF point file using the IDV
> and then re-imported the netCDF point file into IDV with the same results.
> Either the csv file isn't correctly formatted (followed the guidelines at
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/IDV/docs/userguide/data/TextPointData.html)
> or there's a bug with the IDV when displaying this text data in specific
> custom projections.
>
> Hopefully this explanation makes sense.
>
> Warm Regards,
> Evan Lowery