[IDV #RGL-474313]: IDV v2.9u4: Reading Satellite data from NOAA's CLASS archive

> On Apr 5, 2011, at 1:04 PM, Unidata IDV Support wrote:
>
> >> One of my colleagues, John Monteverdi (a synoptic meteorologist), has
> >> discovered NOAA's Comprehensive Large Array-data Stewardship System
> >> (CLASS). He downloaded some archived images in AREA format and I've
> >> downloaded a couple more, one in AREA format and another in NetCDF format
> >> (which of course is much larger). I then tried to view them in the IDV.
> >>
> >> No luck for either one, though I tried specifying several input file
> >> formats (MCIDAS AREA files and Image files (GINI) for the AREA files, and
> >> Grid files (NetCDF/GRIB/OpenDAP/GEMPAK) for the NetCDF files, and "I'm
> >> feeling lucky" for both.
> >
> > Hi Dave,
> >    Can you upload a few sample files? We do support area file in the IDV,
> > and would like to see what is the problem here.
> >
> > http://motherlode.ucar.edu/repository/alias/idvupload
>
> Yuan,
>
> I uploaded three files:
>
> (1) A 1 km visible image (AREA format) downloaded from NOAA's CLASS satellite
> archive.
> (2) A 4 km GOES-West IR image downloaded via the LDM's MCIDAS feed.
> (3) A 1 km GOES-West visible image (not sure what format) downloaded via the
> LDM's NIMAGE feed.
>
> I've also uploaded a bundle that tries to load and plot a 1 km GOES-West
> visible image downloaded via the LDM's NIMAGE feed, accessed using the SFSU
> RAMADDA server, so you should be able to load the bundle without editing it.
> The file loads but the plot is scrambled.
>
> -- Dave

Hi Dave,
      I tried all three files you uploaded, and all worked fine in the IDV.
      There are a few points you need to pay attention. The first, all three
files are pretty big in dimensions. With the screen resolution available in
your computer, you need to subset them before creating the display. Second, the
IDV need 2G memroy allocated to perform better in these three plots.

goes11.2008.... and 1102041400_sir.mca are AREA files, you can specify the data
type as "McIDAS AREA files" and no need to subset, the IDV will do it for you.

110306200_vis1km.nport is grid file, you can specify the data type as "Grid
files", and the dimesnions are 4400 X 5120, you do need to set the strike as
every 3 or 4 point, unless you have very big memory allocated to the IDV.

Yuan

> *   Dr. Dave Dempsey                        |       ^   ___       \|/     *
> *   Dept. of Geosciences                    |  ) ^     /||_||\    --0--  *
> *   San Francisco State University   | )  )    /  ||_||  \    /|\     *
> *   1600 Holloway Ave.                      |  )  )  /   ||_||    \          *
> *   San Francisco, CA   94132          |  )  ) /    ||_||      \   ^   *
> *   Phone:  (415) 338-7716               |  )  )  )~||~||~~~~ \~~*
> *   FAX:      (415) 338-7705               | )  )  )  ) ~  ~  ~ ~ ~ ~*
> *   Email:   address@hidden        |  )  )   )  ) ) ~  ~   ~ ~ *

Ticket ID: RGL-474313
Department: Support IDV