[IDV #VUJ-932357]: unusual line appearing in nexrad display

> > > Full Name: Jason Warren
> > > Email Address: address@hidden
> > > Package Version: 2.9u3 build date:2011-01-14 00:05 UTC
> > > Operating System: Windows 7
> > > Hardware: Java: home: C:\Program Files\IDV_2.9u3\jre version: 1.6.0_20
> > > j3d:1.5.2 fcs (build4)
> > > Description of problem:
> > >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I am viewing KCLE nexrad data using circular aperture, factor 6.  From the
> > > radar site, due north there is a strange line that appears.  This happens
> > > with all radar site, not juts KCLE.  Is there any way to fix this issue?
> > >
> > > Please let me know if you need additional information.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> >
> > Hi Jason,
> > The story behinds this strange line is the additional line introduced in
> > rendering the radar sweep. In most situations, this additional is necessary
> > because we don't want to see a gap, but this may be the cause of what is
> > happening here, I will take a look when I back to office next week.
> >

> > Yuan
> >

> Hi Jason,
> As I checked the radar station KCLE this morning, the problem described in
> your report doesn't persist any more. I believe that the additional line is
> the cause and I don't have a better solution at this moment. As the radar
> dataset move to the dual pole in a few months, I would like to see the more
> standardized dataset being distributed and you will not see the problem any
> more.

Hi Jason,

        After digging into this line problem a bit deeper, I would say my
previous founding is not right. This line is somehow related to the smoothing
algorithm, the line is the located at the beginning and the end of the sweep,
and the smoothing probably goes one direction, this cause the discontinuity of
the result.  Again, there is no better solution at this moment other than turn
off the smoothing.

Yuan

> Yuan

Ticket ID: VUJ-932357