[IDV #CFO-475744]: plotting flow vectors from nc file

> Full Name: HansPeter Roesli
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version: 2.9 build date:@DATE@
> Operating System: Windows Vista
> Hardware: Java: home: C:\Program Files\IDV_2.9\jre version: 1.6.0_20
> j3d:1.5.2 fcs (build4)
> Description of problem: Hi -
>
> I have an nc files of ASCAT wind data downloaded from
>
> ftp://podaac.jpl.nasa.gov/pub/ocean_wind/ascat/preview/L2/12km/
>
> A sample is attached. The files decodes fine in IDL and among other
> parameters offers - as expected - wind speed and wind direction at 10m.
> I would like to plot flow vectors from these param couples, but cannot
> find any ready-made formula that would calculate/display vectors. Am I
> overlooking something here. I would have expceted a Derived list in the
> Fields widget that would offer this option, but there is no list
> appearing.

HP,
    The naming in this dataset is the cause of the derived list not showing. If
you want to
do the flow vector plan view, the easy way is to edit the alias table in the
IDV. You can
go to Tools > Parameter Alias Eidtor, and add the model_speed and model_dir to
the Users alias
table, Name as speed, Description as wind speed, and Alias as model_speed. Exit
the IDV and
restart it, you should now see the Derived list and the formula of flow vector.
Let me know if you need further help.

Yuan

> HP

Ticket ID: CFO-475744