[IDV #IXS-684583]: Dewpoint depression formula mixing units

Hi Simon-

> Full Name: Simon Metcalf
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Operating System: Windows XP
> Hardware: Java: home: C:\Program Files\IDV_2.7u2\jre version: 1.6.0_13
> j3d:1.5.2 fcs (build4)
> Description of problem: Hi,
>
> IDV is not handling the units for its dewpoint depression function.  The
> function relies upon calculating dewpoint from temp and relhum in my data.
> The unit for temp in my data is Kelvin, but IDV outputs dewpoint in degrees
> Celsius, so when it attempts to calculate dewpoint depression, it uses temp
> in Kelvin from the file and dewpoint in celsius from its calculation.  It may
> well be accounting for this in the calculation, but the resultant dewpoint
> depression calculation thinks it's in Celcius when the data looks more like
> Kelvin, leading to display and further calculation problems.  It may well be
> getting the function for dewpoint depression wrong because of the mixup in
> units.

The problem is that the IDV does not have a notion of "delta" units.  So, it
sees K and thinks it's absolute degrees so when it converts to Celsius, it adds
~273.15.

> Is there a possible solution to this problem as intend to use dewpoint
> depression in further calculations.

The only suggestion I have is to use the noUnit procedure I sent yesterday to
strip off the units once you've calculated the dewpoint depression.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: IXS-684583
Department: Support IDV