[IDV #TJF-848962]: Help plotting 2 m winds

Hi-

> I am having difficulty figuring out how to plot surface winds in IDV. I
> am using the grib output data from WRF EMS V3.1 and would like to use
> IDV to plot the winds at the surface of the model, or at 2m. I have tried
> plotting u,v wind @isobaric and @hybrid, but am not sure how to tell the
> corresponding heights of these.
>
> How do you know what height corresponds to the number 1 hybrid level,
> for example?
>
> Overall, I would like to plot the combined U and V winds as wind barbs,
> and overlap the wind barbs with the topography.
>
> There is a WRF output variable called U WIND OF MDL SFCS and V WIND OF MDL

I'm not sure what these variables are, but I'm guessing that they are winds at
the model surface (essentially the 2 meter winds).

Are these listed under the 2D grids?  If there is only one level, the IDV
categorizes the data as 2D grids.  To plot these as barbs or vectors, you can
use the Formulas Data Source and the Grids->Make flow vectors from grid
relative u and v data formula.  Select the type of display you want and when
prompted select the u and v components you want.

If you want to have this option presented automatically, add the variable names
as parameter aliases.  When you have your data loaded in, right click on the U
WIND OF MDL SFCS and it should pop up a menu of 'Add "XXXXX" as alias for; with
sub menus labelled Canonical Name N.  Find the UREL and VREL items (the
canonical names are alphabetical) and set the variables as aliases for the
right canonical name respectively.

The next time you load in your data (or if you do a reload on that Data
Source), you should see an Flow Vectors field under the 2D->Derived Field
category.

Don Murray

> Thank you for your time and help.
>
> Regards
> Danielle Groenen

> The New Busy is not the old busy. Search, chat and e-mail from your inbox .

Ticket ID: TJF-848962
Department: Support IDV