[IDV #NCG-485587]: run time java erros

HI Stu,

> On the headless Mac server their staff has made config changes and now
> running the IDV under isl control with an xidv file gets all new errors.
>
> Seem to be of two kinds - "can't write cache file for", and
> java.awt.HeadlessException
>
> the IDV execute command is
>
> /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/Current/Commands/java
> -Xmx1200m -Djava.awt.headless=true  -jar /Applications/IDV_2.8u1/idv.jar
> -userpath /idvserver/IDV/DefaultIdv -Didv.enableStereo=false
> /idvserver/idv_config_files/working.isl >> /idvserver/logs/idv_log 2>&1
>
> (is there any trick about where arguments appear in order?)
>
> I expect the "can't write cache" is due to some new file permissions; where
> does java try to write to?

By default the IDV writes to:
<user home>/.unidata/idv/DefaultIdv
The process must not have write access to its own home directory. You can
tell the IDV to use another directory with the "-userpath" argument.

As to the headless exception - you cannot run the idv in headless more (i.e.,
with the -Djava.awt.headless=true). The JVM needs to have some windowing
environment to use.

-Jeff

Ticket ID: NCG-485587
Department: Support IDV