[IDV #OJD-845844]: fails at LogUtil.checkConsole(LogUtil.java:683)

Hi Stu,

I've been traveling alot lately and have been playing catch up and Don is out
this week. I did see your idvusers post about this.

> Description of problem: Running IDV 2.8u1 on Mac OS X Server 10.6.3 (remotely
> with ssh -X) makes this error before anything appears.
>
> Can you tell me what LogUtil.checkConsole(LogUtil.java:683)
> is trying to do?
>

> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: java.awt.Component
> at ucar.unidata.util.LogUtil.checkConsole(LogUtil.java:690)
> at ucar.unidata.util.LogUtil.consoleMessage(LogUtil.java:702)
> at ucar.unidata.util.LogUtil.printException(LogUtil.java:897)
> at ucar.unidata.util.LogUtil.printException(LogUtil.java:817)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.logException(IntegratedDataViewer.java:3023)

This isn't anything that LogUtil is doing. All it does is create a JTextArea:
   private static void checkConsole() {
        if (consoleText == null) {
            consoleText = new JTextArea(10, 30);
            consoleText.setEditable(false);
        }
    }

I don't know why you are getting a classnotfound exception for something as
core to java as java.awt.Component (the base UI component). The versions
between our what we use to compile and your runtime shouldn't matter since
java.awt.Component should be in the JVM.

This error might be a red herring. Here:
http://lists.apple.com/archives/java-dev/2007/apr/msg00220.html

they describe getting the error but attribute it to:
>$ java Test java.awt.Frame java.awt.Panel
>isHeadless = false
>Try to create a java.awt.Frame
>kCGErrorRangeCheck : Window Server communications from outside of session
>>allowed for root and console user only
>Caught exception java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to window server -
>>not enough permissions.
>Try to create a java.awt.Panel
>Caught exception java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: java.awt.Container

>Note the unexpected expection from the attempt to create the JPanel, which >is
>caused by the first exception leaving the AWT implementation in an
>>inconsistent state.

Are you running with headless=true?

-Jeff

Ticket ID: OJD-845844