[IDV #VYA-593252]: [?] Archived satellite data

Hi Dave-

> Full Name: Dave Linder
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Operating System: Mac OS X
> Hardware: Java: home:
> /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home version:
> 1.6.0_17 j3d:1.5.2 fcs (build4)
> Description of problem: IDVers,
>
> I'm both new to UCAR/COMET and to IDV and I've started working my way through
> the IDV tutorial to learn it.  So far, so good...except for one thing.  I
> wanted to overlay some archived model data (say, from February 2010) with
> archived satellite data.  I'm particularly interested in GOES-W or a
> combination of GOES-E and GOES-W data over the U.S. and eastern Pacific.
> However, in looking at the "Sat&Radar==>Images" Data Chooser and going
> through all the satellite data available, it wasn't obvious to me which, if
> any, of these data servers contains data older than just a few days ago.
> Could you give me a hint as to which server I should use (and what Data Set
> and Image Type) to find archived satellite data that's a month or two old?
> (assuming there's one that has archived data)  If older satellite data are
> not available, then I'll probably use the more manually-intensive method of
> getting the satellite data from another source (like NOAA's CLASS database)
> and importing it int
 o IDV (unless you can syeer me in another direction).

Unidata maintains a rolling archive of ~45 days of near realtime weather.
Using the Satellite chooser, select adde.ucar.edu server and type in GINIALL or
IMAGEALL for the dataset.  When you select a specific Image Type, you will be
promoted to select the day you want.  At this point, you can't span days.

Another option is to use the catalog chooser and Community Servers->Unidata
Program Center catalog.  You can choose either the LEAD server or the THREDDS
IDD server.  The LEAD server has a 6 month archive and the IDD server points to
the same data as the image chooser.  You can load these data in by selecting
several files and setting the Data Source Type to be Image files.

Hope that helps.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: VYA-593252
Department: Support IDV