[IDV #ILT-566886]: vertical profiles with depth, not altitude

Hi Alan-

> Full Name: Alan Bol
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Operating System: Windows XP
> Hardware: Java: home: C:\Program Files\IDV_2.7u1\jre version: 1.6.0_13
> j3d:1.5.2 fcs (build4)
> Description of problem: Hi guys,
> I have ocean data with positive values for depth. In a vertical profile, how
> do I get the zero at the top and the max depth at the bottom?
> I'm working locally, so I don't have a convenient bundle to send. Here's the
> data file I'm presently working with:
> http://usgodae.org/pub/outgoing/static/ocn/gdem/sgdemv3s02.nc
>
> I know that I've done this in the past, but can't recall what I did, and
> something strange is going on with opendap at usgodae and my old bundles
> won't open.

There is no way to set the scale on the vertical axis at this time. I'll add
that to the list of things to do.

The basic problem is that the units indicate meters when in fact they are
-meters.  The netCDF CF convention includes an attribute that specifies whether
positive values are up or down.  The netCDF-Java CDM uses this attribute if
present even for non-CF convention files.

If you open the attached NcML file, it will add that attribute to the data and
then your profiles will show with 0 at the top and negative values for the
vertical.  You can use this with other files if you just change the name in the
XML.  Or, if you want to make this a Data Source Type, let me know and I can
let you know how to do that.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: ILT-566886
Department: Support IDV