[IDV #MQM-696970]: visad error propagation facility

Hi Tyn-

> Further to my previous message, I already found some answers to some of my
> questions. However, can you comment on the ??? below.
>
> > What are the numerical equivalents for the other propagations methods to
> > set int errorMode correctly?
>
> Data.NO_ERROR    = 202
> Data.INDEPENDENT = ???
> Data.DEPENDENT   = ???

Data.INDEPENDENT = 200
Data.DEPENDENT   = 201

I've added the following to GridUtil so you can use them there:

    public static final int NO_ERRORS = Data.NO_ERRORS;
    public static final int DEPENDENT_ERRORS = Data.DEPENDENT;
    public static final int INDEPENDENT_ERRORS = Data.INDEPENDENT;

I've also added an error mode to the sampleToReal. sample already had the error
mode signature.

These will be in tomorrow's build.

> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/javadoc/constant-values.html#ucar.unidata.data.grid.GridUtil.DEFAULT_ERROR_MODE
>
> > Is there a javadoc showing all propagations methods?
>
> NO, except this snippet in
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/mailing_lists/archives/visad/2002/msg00170.html:
>

> > Also, I can see that Data.INDEPENDENT uses a linear 'error
> > propagation' algorithm, but what does actually Data.DEPENDENT do (doesn't
> > one need to know the functional form of the dependency?). Is there any
> > auxiliary documentation somewhere, or references to the algorithms used?
>
> For Data.DEPENDENT the system uses the worst case error
> propagation, where they are simply added. This is essentially
> interval arithmetic. For Data.INDEPENDENT the system uses
> root mean square error propagation.

I don't know any more than what was in that message.  As Bill pointed out, this
has not been tested very well. I have no experience using the error
propagation, but if you run into problems, we can muddle along together. ;-)

Don

Ticket ID: MQM-696970
Department: Support IDV