[IDV #PTQ-142997]: light Indicator for IDV

Hi Walt,

> At the National Data Buoy Center, we are trying to implement IDV for
> Quality Control use since it is great tool. One requirement we need with
> the program, and have not resolved, is a color light over the station
> icon if the station has not reported for 2hours or more. This is to
> ensure that there is not a data feed issue that has not been addressed.
> My question is, is there a simple way to have stations turn orange if
> they have not reported in 2 hours or more? maybe by having a list of
> expected marine stations and comparing it to reporting marine stations
> (like the list on your server).

One could do one of two things. First, a custom display control could be
created (in Java) that knows how to determine the status of the reporting
stations and then display that information in some way. Finding out the
requisite information might be tricky from some arbitrary client.

The other approach (and perhaps the easier of the two) is to treat the station
statuses as point observation data and display that data with a custom layout
model. This requires no coding in the IDV but you would need to have some sort
of station status service running at your center that can produce the status in
a form that the IDV can read as point data.

In general such a service might be useful outside of the IDV context.

The data format could follow the IDV's CSV format:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/IDV/docs/userguide/data/TextPointData.html

The sematics could be something:
station id, lat, lon, time, etc.,..., time since last report

-Jeff

Ticket ID: PTQ-142997
Department: Support IDV