[IDV #SYQ-534123]: spatial clip of netcdf file to shapefile

> I'm looking for a way to "clip" a netcdf file to a shapefile.  Is there
> a feature for this in IDV?
>
> I know I can clip to a polygon defined by four corner coordinates,
> however, in this case, I'm interested in taking a netcdf file of
> gridded met data and 'clipping' it to a watershed boundary.
>
> Is this possible with available IDV features, or would it require some
> pretty in depth scripting?
>
> Any suggestions you may have would be appreciated!

Hi Lee,
If you mean actually change the spatial domain of a netcdf file then you, you
cannot do that.

But, you can fill everything outside of a given set of polygons with missing
values and write it out.
This only works for a single parameter.

Load in your shapefile and your netcdf file as data sources in the IDV. In the
field selector under Formulas->Maps select Subset field from Map. Choose some
display to see the results or right click and choose Evaluate and Save.

When prompted select the map data and the field from the netcdf file.

-Jeff

Ticket ID: SYQ-534123
Department: Support IDV