[IDV #KFS-225548]: Default background maps hidden

Hi Simon-

> I've upgraded to 3.7, which seems to have solved some of the graphical issues
> I was having, but the problem described below still persists.  The default
> background displays aren't on quick render.
>
> This particular NetCDF file has both 2D and 3D variables (excluding time).
> The issue doesn't occur on the 2D variables but does on the 3D.  I don't know
> what you mean about the 3D view or how to switch it to 2D.

Sorry if that wasn't clear. See below.

>I've noticed that if I click and drag on the view it does change perspective.
>Also, when doing this, the default background maps start to appear (see
>attached images).  Also, if I click on the "view from bottom" button, the
>default background maps are clearly visible, albeit displaying the wrong
>orientation.

Since it's a 3D grid, the display is plotted slightly above the maps in the 3D
display box.  From the Map Display control, click on the Display tab and use
the slider to move the position of the map up in the box.  Then, they should be
visible. Since the 2D fields work fine, and since the map is displayed when you
turn the box upside down, I'm pretty sure that's what the issue is.  Because
they 3D field is only slightly above the map, the map does show through when
you rotate the box.

> I'm really only interested in plotting 2D views.  For the 3D data I can
> change the level that is plotted.  I've also tried modifying the runIDV.dat
> file to switch to DirectX instead of OpenGL, which had no effect.

If you are only interested in using 2D displays, then you can set your
preference to always use the 2D display.  That should also fix the map on top
of the display issue since lines are rendered on top of images.

Open the Preferences dialog (Edit->Preferences) and under the View tab, uncheck
the "Use 3D View" and then  click the OK button. This will not take effect
until you restart the IDV.  However, you can test it by selecting the
File->New->View Window->Map View->One Pane menu.  The new display should be 2D
only.

Let me know if that is not clear.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: KFS-225548