[IDV #SYQ-598598]: IDV 2.7b2: GFS analyses and forecasts: faulty times

Hi Dave-

> Boy, without specifically consulting some documentation somewhere
> (when in doubt, read the instructions?), I'm not sure I would ever
> have figured that out!

The docs in the catalog are wrong for this entry.  I've submitted a support
request to the THREDDS group to have it updated.  Right now it reads:

NCEP GFS Model : AWIPS 228 (A) Grid. Global Lat/Lon grid. Model runs are made
at 0, 6, 12, and 18Z, with forecasts hourly from 22 to 32 hours, then every 12
hours from 192 to 384 hours (8 to 16 days). Horizontal= 73 by 144 points,
resolution 2.5 degree, Lat/Lon projection. Vertical = 1000 to 100 hPa mandatory
pressure levels (10 levels); surface, height above ground, pressure layers.

At least the last part is right (192-384). ;-)

> >> Having a GFS global analysis available for 8 days in the future could
> >> make me rich, but somehow I think there's a catch. A problem reading
> >> the GFS GRIB2 files?
> >
> > Time to get rich! ;-)
>
> Unfortunately, the starting point of the 2.5 degree 8-16 day forecast
> is still just a forecast, not an analysis. Some people get rich on
> fantasies, but .... hey, maybe that's true in the weather forecasting
> world, too!

Bet on those futures!

Don

Ticket ID: SYQ-598598