[IDV #ETX-669397]: problem saving cached data in zipped bundle

Hi Tom-

> I wanted to save just the 1000mb Z field from a model run, so after
> the display (using the formula to slide out a level @ 1000mb), I
> clicked on File->save data in cache in the Control....gave it a name
> even.

Why do you use the formula instead of selecting the level in the
Levels tab of the Data Subset?

> Then when I go to save a zipped bundle, there is no checkbox next to
> "cached data", just the model data.  If I save the bundle with the
> model data, I get all levels/all times...and a 700mb file....

There are only certain data sources that we know how to write out
and read back in.  Since we don't have a generic VisAD Data writer,
the cached dataset doesn't show up in the list of data sources that
we know how to save.

> I'm thinking there should be a checkbox or something next to the
> cached data....??

We would have to know how to write out the VisAD Data object and read the
it back in for that to work and at this point we can't.

The only work around I have is to use the File->Save->Export Displayed Data..
or the Export->Export Grid to NetCDF formula to write out the data
to a netCDF file.  Then load that data source in and display it.  Then it
should
should show up when you go to save the zidv file.

Don

Ticket ID: ETX-669397
Department: Support IDV