[IDV #QHL-990399]: Question About SREF Wind Plot

Hi Jacob-

> I am having trouble understanding the alias tool.  In dealing with dewpoint
> temperature, would I need to make the program derive dewpoint from
> temperature and relative humidity in the alias tool?  Could you help me get
> dewpoint temperature from the SREF model?  Thanks!

You'll need to add an alias to TEMP for the temperature variable and RH for the
relative humidity variable.  You can get the names of the variables by mousing
over the name in the Field Selector.  For example, for the SREF weighted mean
if you mouse over the temperature variable, you'll see the tooltip shows:

Temperature_weightedMean21_pressure
Temperature_weightedMean21 @ pressure

The first is the actual field name which you would want to use.  Go to the
Tools->Parameter Alias Editor dialog, select the System aliases tab, find
the TEMP row and right click on it.  Select Copy to User's Table and in the
dialog that pops up, enter Temperature_weightedMean21_pressure on it's
own line in the bottom text area.  Do the same for RH and then reload the
data.  If you've done it correctly, you should see a derived quantity for
the Dewpoint under the Temperature->Derived pull fields.  See the User's
Guide for more information on Data Aliases at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/IDV/docs/userguide/tools/AliasEditor.html

You can also get a list of the parameters using the Data Source Properties
under the Details tab.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: QHL-990399
Department: Support IDV