[Support #LER-901685]: Java3d version

Hi Kevin-

> The IDV with included JRE from the nightly builds has begun crashing on my
> main XP machine
> (AMD 64 x2 CPU, Geforce 8600 GT GPU).

When you say "begun crashing" did is used to work?  If so, has something changed
on your system?

Typically, upon first install,
> the application opens, but when I close out the "Tips" window, the
> application crashes.  Subsequent attempts to launch the IDV fail with only
> a brief appearance of windows.
>
> Attached is a log file; any ideas as to what might be happening?

Ah, I know what the problem is from the log file.  It shows:

VM Arguments:

jvm_args: -Xmx1536m -Didv.enableStereo=false

java_command: idv.jar

On a Windows 32 bit system, you cannot allow that much memory to Java.  Ideally,
Java can access 1.5 Gb of memory on a 32 bit machine.  However, on Windows
systems,
there is shared memory between the system and the graphics card.  On some
systems,
you can get away with -Xmx1200m, but I recommend using 1024 or less.  You could
try
stepping down the memory until you find a happy value that your system likes.

See if that fixes the issue.

Don

Ticket ID: LER-901685
Department: Support IDV