[IDV #VAS-184099]: color scale associated with color filled contour display

Hi Bill-

> Full Name: bill fingerhut
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version: 2.7a1 build date:2009-04-10 07:08 UTC
> Operating System: Windows XP
> Hardware: Java: home: C:\Program Files\IDV_2.7a1\jre version: 1.6.0_11
> j3d:1.5.2 fcs (build4)
> Description of problem: When the color scale is visible on a color filled -
> contour display, the contour interval has no effect on the color scale. Since
> the color scale is supposed to enable one to interpret the color filled
> display, shouldn't the two agree as closely as possible ???

Color tables show the continuous function of the color ramp.  The color filled
contours discretize the colors, thus the disconnect.

> E.g., if the contour interval is 10 K, shouldn't the color scale change
> colors only every 10 K ?

Only if you created a color table that had discrete colors very 10 K.  Again,
the underlying color table used to sample the colors for the filled contours
usually has many more colors in it.  The color used for the fill should show
at the correct location on the color scale.  Right now, the only way
to do what you want would be to create color table with discrete colors for
each interval.  However, if you change the interval, you'd need a different
color table.

> Also, it would be nice to be able to change some of the properties of the
> color scale. Some that come to mind right now are the width of the color
> scale and the position of the labels (e.g. inside the color scale vs.
> outside).

It's on our TODO list.  So many things, so little time. ;-)  I can put your
suggestion to change the color table into the hopper as well.

Don

Ticket ID: VAS-184099
Department: Support IDV