[IDV #QYQ-822776]: Long file names mapped to 8 characters

Hi Tim-

> Full Name: Tim Cera
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Operating System: Windows XP
> Hardware: Java: home: c:\Program Files\Java\jre6 version: 1.6.0_13 j3d:1.5.2
> fcs (build4)
> Description of problem: Running IDV on Windows trying to open WRF output and
> file names longer
> than 8 characters are mapped to 8 characters within the file dialog box.
>
> The files that I want to access are on a SAMBA server.

We've not seen this here (we use samba as well), but I'm guessing it's
related to the Samba configuration.  There is a setting in the smb.conf
for whether or not to mangle long names to 8.3.  Here is what I found
from a web search:

http://oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/ch05_04.html

According to that page, the default for "mangled names" is yes which would
do the shortening.   Check with your Samba administrator about changing
this value.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: QYQ-822776
Department: Support IDV