[IDV #TBT-341940]: Slow image load

HI David,

> Description of problem: I am running case studies using the NAM_ARW for a
> senior project. It outputs in grib format which I use with IDV 2.5 to analyze
> the model runs. When I try to load fields it bogs down the computer and takes
> a few seconds to load the image. I use mainly the reflectivity products,
> whether it be 2d   or 3d. When I load multiple images and try to loop them it
> does not work because it takes so long to load each image. I tried increasing
> the memory available from 512 to 1024 and it did not seem to do anything. I
> would include a sample file from the output but it is too large to attach
> ~25MB-30MB. Thank you for your help.

Just how big are these grids? How many time steps and what is the resolution?
What kind of display are you creating?

There are a number of things that you can do to subset and decimate the grid:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/userguide/misc/PerformanceTuning.html

If you are continuing to have problems you can upload your file here:
http://motherlode.ucar.edu/repository/entry/show/Top/Unidata/Software/IDV/Support+Uploads?entryid=e850985a-8a2c-44e3-8a05-e547cfb963a1

and we can take a look at it.

-Jeff

Ticket ID: TBT-341940