[Support #GER-258218]: Re: NDFD

Hi Bill-

I moved this over to support in case the pie truck hits. ;-)

> I went down the ftp road because I understood the info on the NDFD page
> concerning ftp access.
> There is also a link about http access:
> http://www.weather.gov/ndfd/access_http.htm
> which was different and strange last week (bad link ?). Now it makes
> sense and seems better than ftp access.
> For one thing, the IDV likes it!
>
> I entered the url:
> http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/SL.us008001/ST.opnl/DF.gr2/DC.ndfd/AR.conus/VP.001-003/
> with the file name in the IDV and it loaded the data source just fine.
> The data displayed fine, so I added

Yes, this should work.  There are a couple of caveats:

- grib access over http (not through a TDS) can be painful because
it needs to do random access calls and build up the indexes.  However,
for this particular grid which has few grib products in it, it
probably is okay.  I do notice that it takes a while for the
indexing and subsetting to happen on this http link.

- You might run into a problem with the index being out of sync
with the file.  If the file name and size is the same, it will
not try to re-index the file automatically.  We are working on
this, but you might find that at the very least, the dates will
be wrong, but at the worst, you'll get a major error because
the file structure on the other end is different than the previous
one.

> To easily share this with others, I tried a few things and concluded
> that the best path was to create a
> plugin. Is this the approach you would take ? I did this and read it in
> to a test account just fine.

Did you save it as a Favorite Data Source, then use the Manage..
dialog to export to a plugin?

> I was surprised that it showed up under favorite bundles rather than
> data favorites. I can rationalize the result,
> but I thought I should double check with you that this is what is
> intended? Maybe I did something wrong?

No, apparently, it does not keep the idea that this is a data
favorite.  We'll look into it.

Don

Ticket ID: GER-258218
Department: Support IDV