[IDV #WEO-921853]: What's wrong with this

John/Rich-

> I dont think theres anything wrong with the union aggrgation. I assume the
> missing lat/lon screw things up. BTW, theres no problem with non-monotonic 2D
> coordinate variables. Perhaps something with IDV flow vectors? Im returning
> this to IDV support.

The problem is that there are missing lat/lons in the domain.  Unlike
a program that just plots data, the IDV needs to have non-missing
values in the domain for doing efficient sampling and lookup.  At this
point, I don't see a way around this.  Your grid is really an irregular
grid, not a topological mesh since portions are missing.

Don Murray

> > The 2nd attachment.
> >
> > On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Rich Signell <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > Dave,
> > >
> > > Yes, you do have missing lon/lat values.  I don't think that's the
> > > problem.  I think the problem is (and I'm trusting that Don & Jeff
> > > will correct me if I'm wrong) IDV uses a simplistic mapping from
> > > lon,lat to i,j that requires that the longitude and latitude change
> > > monotonically proceeding along the I and J directions.    This
> > > certainly isn't true for your grid, as shown in the zoomed in section
> > > of your grid (1st attachment).    When we plot the first field of
> > > temperature from the surface in IDV, IDV doesn't complain, but
> > > certainly doesn't plot the field correctly (2nd attachment).   Matlab
> > > (left panel) has no problem, but IDV (right panel) gets all confused.
> > >
> > > -Rich

Ticket ID: WEO-921853
Department: Support IDV