[IDV #MRV-291694]: trouble with netCDF file

Hi Dave-

> Full Name: Dave Santek
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Operating System: Windows XP
> Hardware: Java: home: C:\Program Files\IDV_2.6u1\jre version: 1.6.0_11
> j3d:1.5.2 fcs (build4)
> Description of problem: Hi,
>
> I'm trying to display a netCDF file from:
> http://water.weather.gov/download.php
> I have an example at:
> ftp://ftp.ssec.wisc.edu/pub/ssec/daves/nws_precip_conus_20090129.nc
>
> When trying to load it as a netCDF grid, the error is:
> "No gridded data found"
>
> It does not contain lat/lon by pixel; it is in a polar stereographic
> projection [corner points
> provided along with some projection information].
>
> I tried one of the CF-compliant checkers:
> http://puma.nerc.ac.uk/cgi-bin/cf-checker.pl

It is nowhere near a CF compliant file.

> and it came up with 9 warnings....but, no errors. Wouldn't that indicate the
> file should be usable in the IDV?

I would think the first warning would indicate that this doesn't have the CF
Conventions attribute.

In any case, this is not what I would call a "self describing" format.  There
is no documented standard (except in some C code according to the web page).

One could write a convention handler for this, but I'm not sure if it's worth
the effort.

A better effort would be to get the NWS to write out CF compliant netCDF files.
;-)

Don

Ticket ID: MRV-291694
Department: Support IDV