[IDV #OBI-892127]: Plotting thickness in 20km NAM - 'select surface' dataset

Hi Dave-

Happy New Year.  Sorry, this fell through the cracks while we
were trying to get the release out.

> Full Name: Dave Flory
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Operating System: Windows XP
> Hardware: Java: home: C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07 version: 1.6.0_07
> j3d:1.3.2 fcs (build12)
> Description of problem: I realize I may have jumped the gun on this because
> the select surface dataset hasn't
> been working, but the current state of the data doesn't seem to want to plot
> 1000-500mb
> thickness.  Perhaps an issue with the derived variables for this set?  If I
> have indeed
> jumped the gun, feel free to yell at me...lol.

The problem is that the grib2 grids have a pressure unit of Pa
and the derived quantity just uses 500 and 1000 on the native grid
coordinate.  If you use the Thickness derived quantity and specify
50000 and 100000 for the levels, it will give you the thickness.
However, in either case, it downloads the whole grid and then does
the subtraction.  You'd be better off doing a sub(a,b) and select
the appropriate levels in the dialog.  A little more work up front,
but will be faster.

I'll look into a fix for both these issues.

Don

Ticket ID: OBI-892127
Department: Support IDV