[IDV #HNE-856233]: Importing and geolocating pictures

Hi Dave-

This is Don.

> Thanks for the quick reply!
>
> So, basically there would need to be keyword=value definitions for the
> parameters that define the projection and then code to set up the
> spatial domain....correct. Since I'm trying to get $$s from NOAA to add
> functionality to McV, I would like someone at SSEC to do the work. Thoughts?

You could always pay us to do the work. ;-)

I would suggest using the CF convention notation for the keyword=value
pairs since there is some degree of standardization.  There are two
approaches that could be used.

1) use the McIDAS Nav modules (PS, MERC, TANC, etc) that support
projections.  You would create a synthetic AREA directory based
on the key/value pairs.

2) Use the ucar.unidata.geoloc.projection classes.  The advantage
is there is support for more projections.  The tricky part is that
these use km along the projection, not row/col (line element) for the
values in the domain set.  Calculating the projection coordinates
might be tricky since you need to know the spacing between pixels.

> And, how much effort would it take in people-time?

2 weeks if someone knew what they were doing.

Don

Ticket ID: HNE-856233
Department: Support IDV