[IDV #JMC-417505]: Plotting METAR cigc cc1 cc2 fields with IDV

Hi Hans-

> I see, thanks for clarifying that. A bit confusing to have different
> encodings for the same type of parameter

I agree.  Unfortunately, at this point, it's the only dataset
we have easy access to.

> What made me believe the ccx fields where WMO encoded was that a variable
> with the name "CC" is described in the parameter alias table as "WMO Cloud
> cover code". So I just assumed...

Yes, it is confusing.

> So the METAR plot model does not really work with METAR obs, with regards to
> cloud cover?

Not with that dataset.  When we eventually move to the netCDF based
surface datasets, the cloud cover will be stored as octets.  It does
work with the synoptic datasets now from the existing chooser.

Don

Ticket ID: JMC-417505
Department: Support IDV